I'm late in wishing everyone a Happy New Year, and late in updating this blog. 2013 helped me start this blog, gain a small audience, and learn a few things about my voice and style. We explored music, football, a bit of basketball and golf, and lots and lots of bourbon.
This is a special post for me, not just because it's been a long time since I've written, but also because now I have some history and feedback from family and friends to reflect upon. I'm encouraged by kind words from readers and statistics showing that my website still draws modest traffic, despite my last post being in October.
With all that being said, I'll share a few New Year's Resolutions with you. I won't bore you too much with the standard "lose weight and work out" goals, as my resolutions are tailored to what I think is an enthusiastic and thirsting entertainment blog audience which I hope you are as excited about as I am:
- Save more; everyone probably tries this every once in a while. I am lucky enough to have two big breaks in personal cash flow soon: I will be writing my second to last check to Kay Jewelers this month to finish paying off the engagement ring I bought my beautiful fiance, and I will be receiving a decent pay raise from my job starting at the end of May. It's important to save money for emergency use as well as investments and personal spending use like car and home down payments and gifts, so I will be welcoming my freed-up cash.
- Become a better sports fan. It's hard to argue that a vocal fan is a poor one, but I've noticed that when I post sports related information on Facebook during a game, my team fares worse. Sports fans are notoriously superstitious, and so I will make it a point to post BEFORE or AFTER a game has started, but not during.
- Create a Twitter account for this page. I don't have a personal Twitter account, and I've been avoiding it, but I think I can improve my activity with it, make you guys aware of entertainment such as music and sports, and learn more about the world that interests us if I explore the Twitterverse a bit. Follow me @guitarsnbourbon
- Win a Championship. My New Orleans Saints fell a bit short, but will be back stronger next year, and my Kentucky Wildcats may be in a building (not RE-building, let's not kid ourselves) phase in football with Mark Stoops, but Basketball is as strong as ever with a super-deep and talented team this year. Willie Caulie-Stein needs to get his fouls in check, but with him, James Young, Julius Randle and the Harrison Twins to name a few, we will be looking to turn that "8" into a "9" this year, and you would be a fool to ignore the BBN.
- Blog more. I love knowing that even a few people have read and enjoy my writing, but you guys have exceeded my expectations and I hope to exceed yours. I pledge to be more active and give you something to read while waiting for George R. R. Martin to finish his next book ("stop pressuring me").
In 2013, I worked very hard in my job, started this blog, improved my infantile golf game, saw a most disappointing end to Kentucky Basketball in the NIT, watched a very hopeful beginning of Mark Stoops' reign of Kentucky Football, got engaged, and made it here, to 2014. There is much promise in this new year, and I hope you all will travel with me through it to cherish new hopes and reach new goals.